It’s the beginning of 2019 and here I am with a new 1 year old and just over 30 weeks pregnant with baby boy two!! These facts made me question whether or not goals and planning my year out were futile given that I will have two pretty young boys in just a couple of months, but I still desire to live out each of my days with purpose while also having grace for myself in this beautiful season.
I feel like these years of early motherhood, while challenging and so tiring, are still extremely important years to set goals, even if they are small. I also am aware that my goals will more than likely shift a bit after I have baby number two and I will allow space for that to happen. So with that I will share a few of my current goals for 2019 + my word of the year!
My Word of the Year is
I N T E N T I O N A L
I have been doing a lot of reflecting and dreaming the past couple of months and this word just fit pretty much all of my goals. In the dictionary the meaning reads:
- done on purpose; deliberate.
- purposeful in word and action.
- actively interacting and engaging with your life.
- living a life that is meaningful and fulfilling.
Around early-2018 I had an epiphany. This may sound silly, but I was in such a pit complaining about where life had taken me and how I was so disappointed in myself for being no where near where I thought I would be at 23 (Enneagram 1 over here). After enough griping and complaining, I realized that I had been living as a victim to my circumstances and the events in my life. I was letting life hit me back and forth in any way it wanted to and I was taking the punches like a sad defenseless puppy. Then licking my wounds for days and weeks at a time. Over the year, I learned to start taking control of my life and going for what I wanted to happen. I said “no more” to living like a victim to my life. I am in charge of it, for goodness sake! (Of course, with the Lord’s guidance and wisdom). However, going into 2019, the word intentional just fit everything I wanted to grow into.
I want to be intentional in motherhood and not let social media steal my eyes and attention away from their tiny faces and these early years that truly are a vapor.
I want to be intentional in my relationships and cultivate meaningful, life-giving friendships with those in a similar season as me.
I want to be intentional in growing my small business. I kind of fell into my business after y e a r s of feeling inadequate and this year I want to be intentional with growth and logistics.
I want to be intentional in our finances and steward our income well in a way that will set us up for future success.
And I want to be intentional with my relationship with Christ by setting aside time to get into my Bible and keep a conversation going with the Lord in prayer through the day.
With that, I share my top 2019 goals:
Intentional + Purposeful Motherhood
- Get down and play with my boys + get outside!
- Cultivate a peaceful home + daily routine
- Give myself grace in healing + becoming a newborn mama again
- Develop photos regularly in physical photo albums
Grow my Creative Business
- Get my business “legit” + treat it like a business
- Finally take time to design my own brand to reflect who I am
- Put out consistent blog posts + design content
- Focus on growing my Etsy shop + take on only a handful of logo designs
Steward our Finances Faithfully
- Take out cash envelopes bi-weekly
- Bi-weekly budget check-ins with Josh
- Pay down our consumer debt
- Participate in “no spend weeks” each month
Take Care of Myself
- Read 12 books
- Take monthly solo-dates
- Start a slow workout routine after I am cleared to work out post baby
- Take vitamins + drink water daily!!
Cultivate my Spiritual Growth
- Read through the Old Testament
- Nurture a daily quiet time + prayer life
- Meditate on scripture
- Get involved with a woman’s group or life group
All together I have 9 main goals for 2019, each broken down into their own sub-categories that will help me work towards those main goals. This year I will be learning how to be a mama to two babies in a city that is not down the road from family. I am relying and trusting in the Lord’s strength and guidance to help me become the mama and wife He has called me to be.
I am hopeful and expectant that 2019 is going to be a really sweet year, coming off the tail end of a couple hard years. I am hustling hard the next couple of months to prepare for baby number two. But also truly savoring this time of it being just my firstborn and I for a couple more months. The days are absolutely sweet and full of so much beauty and I don’t want to let a moment pass me by. Here is to a year of intentional living!
If you have a word of the year or goals for 2019, please feel free to share them below! I love hearing other people’s goals + dreams!